Mavambo Orphan Care works with Ministry of Primary and Secondary education.
1. Mavambo Learning Centre(MLC): It is a unique model to support children aged 8-12 years who have never been to school. The children are engaged on a one year Accelerated Learning Program and integrated into mainstream formal school. The Accelerated learning programme, which is the flagship of Mavambo Orphan Care OVC project, was initiated in 2001 and continues to be implemented in Mabvuku, Tafara and Caledonia. The thrust of the Mavambo Accelerated Learning Programme continues to be provision of quality education viewed as the foundation to improving people’s lives. Enabling factors to have been created through enhancement of knowledge, social skills, health provision and increased employment opportunities outside the home. The current goal of the project is to improve access to education and wraparound services for OVC by strengthening the systems that support these children. The specific objectives are to:
- Provide academic support for OVC prior to and after they have entered the formal educational system.
- Provide psychosocial support, life-skills education, nutrition and legal services to orphans and other vulnerable children in Mabvuku, Tafara and Caledonia.
- Improve the capacity of Mavambo Orphan Care Staff, Shamwari Dzedu and caregivers (especially grandmothers) to provide holistic care to OVC in Mabvuku, Tafara and Caledonia.
- Provide a supportive environment for orphans and vulnerable children, youth and adults to further their knowledge and skills.
- Contribute towards the Government of Zimbabwe aim to enhance a reading culture.
- Reduce the high school dropout rates currently prevalent in schools in as the children will adopt a reading culture and lifestyle.
2. Formal School Education Package
- MOC supports vulnerable children to access education through payment of school levies after screening/assessments.
- Target children of school going age (6-17 years)
- Children receive a comprehensive package to include stationery, uniforms and text books support.
- Support limited to Primary and Secondary education.
3. Second Chance Education: Mavambo Orphan Care utilises the Community Learning and Safe Park (CLASP) and Part-Time and Continuing Education (PTCE) to ensure school dropouts access education. This ensures that children who are out of school continue learning and are safe within the schooling environment.
4. Community Study Clubs: To ensure continued learning during crisis or pandemics, MOC facilitates virtual community study clubs. The children utilise online platforms for learning including Remote Area Community Hot spot for Education and Learning (RACHEL) and are assisted with qualified tutors. The organisation facilitate uptake of radio lessons as well.